Spirit of the cuisine
Inventive and diverse cuisine
In the heart of the Nantes vineyards, Laurent Saudeau draws his inspiration from his world, here and elsewhere. He intends to act as the author of an inventive and happy cuisine. His experiences and trips to the island of La Réunion in the French West Indies introduced him to the subtle mastery of spices that he considers to be his playground, like a painter uses his colour chart.
Liquorice, vanilla, red pepper, star anise, tonka beans, fennel seeds, black tea, tandoori, cardamom … the pairings that he imagines are like mixed explorations, which are often unusual and unexpected, but always delicious. The objective of Laurent Saudeau? Surprise the senses. Astonish, enchant.
Among his specialties:
- Cataplana of lamb with herbs of Provence, steamed in a copper casserole,
- Red mullet with Gillardeau oysters, stewed chorizo Iberico,
- Spaghetti spiral with langoustine, calf sweetbread and Paimpol beans.
Portrait of the chef
As the son of a butcher, delicatessen owner and caterer in a suburb of Nantes, Laurent Saudeau was introduced at a very young age to the universe of gastronomy. After hotel management studies on the island of Noirmoutier, he honed his skills at the French Riviera with “Jo” Rostang, A La Bonne Auberge in Antibes, at Negresco in Nice with Jacques Maximin, a master of Provencal cuisine. This is where he fell in love with Mediterranean cuisine, so rich in colours and flavours. He then moved to Paris to a real institution, Lucas Carton, to Switzerland to the Beau Rivage Palace in Geneva as well as to the islands, the home of spices, which have largely influenced him.
Laurent Saudeau returned to France and obtained his first star in Gordes. He then wanted to transform the family property into a restaurant and started as a chef at Domaine de Beauvois in Luynes whilst supervising the work on Manoir de la Boulaie, his future restaurant in Haute Goulaine.
- 2000: opening of the restaurant Le Manoir de la Boulaie
- 2002: 1st star in the Michelin Guide
- 2005: 2 stars in the Michelin Guide
- 2008: 17/20 in the Gault & Millau Guide
- 2009: 4 toques in the Gault & Millau Guide
- 2012: Member of Châteaux & Hôtels Collection - Remarkable Restaurants / Membre of the Association Tables et Saveurs de Bretagne
- 2015: Member of the Association Les Grandes Tables du Monde